**For best results with the TEA Help Desk, please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Be sure you are running the most up to date version of Chrome or Firefox, and it is recommended that you clear the cache. Users are advised not to use Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer as the TEA Help Desk application does not support full functionality and users may experience issues.
Browse through the Frequently Asked Questions or click Submit a Request to submit your question to Student Assessment.
Someone from the team will respond to your inquiry promptly.
- What are the general testing requirements for students in grades 3–8?
- What are the testing requirements for students in grades 3–8 who are receiving instruction in subjects above their enrolled grade?
- What are the testing requirements for students in grades 3–8 who are enrolled in a high school course that has a corresponding STAAR EOC assessment?
- What are the testing requirements for students in grades 3–8 who are enrolled in a high school course that does not have a corresponding STAAR EOC assessment?
- If students in grades 3–8 are receiving above-grade-level instruction (including instruction in a high school-level course), are they required to take both the higher level and the enrolled-grade-level assessment in the same content area?
- What are the testing requirements for students in kindergarten, grade 1, or grade 2 who are receiving instruction in subjects above their enrolled grade level?
FAQs - STAAR Testing Requirements
- What is the purpose of the Student Success Initiative (SSI)?
- What are the SSI promotion requirements?
- How many testing opportunities are there for SSI?
- Which students do the SSI promotion requirements apply to?
- Do SSI promotion requirements apply to students in grades 3, 4, 6, or 7 who are receiving mathematics or reading instruction above their enrolled grade and who take the grade 5 or 8 assessment?
- Can students who are receiving mathematics or reading instruction above their enrolled grade and who will take the above-grade-level assessment at grade 5 or 8 participate in the second or third administration of the mathematics or reading assessments?
FAQs - STAAR Student Success Initiative Requirements
- What STAAR tests are required for high school graduation?
- Which students must meet the STAAR graduation requirements?
- When should students take a STAAR EOC assessment?
- How many testing opportunities do students have to pass the STAAR EOC assessments?
- What types of substitute assessments can students use to fulfill their STAAR graduation requirements?
- Can a student use more than one substitute assessment to fulfill their graduation requirements?
FAQs - STAAR Graduation Requirements
- When are the STAAR tests administered?
- How many days are students taking STAAR assessments?
- Which STAAR assessments are offered on paper and which are offered online?
- What type of flexibility do districts have in scheduling the STAAR assessments?
- What if a student is not able to test on the scheduled date?
- Is there a time limit for STAAR assessments?
FAQs - STAAR Test Administration
- How is student performance described on STAAR?
- What is the passing standard for STAAR?
- Why are the STAAR performance standards presented as scale scores rather than raw scores?
- Why isn’t the passing standard for each STAAR assessment set at 70% of the questions correct?
- Does the passing standard for STAAR change each year?
- Which STAAR assessments are reported on a vertical scale?
FAQs - STAAR Performance and Reporting
- What is accessibility?
- What are the different levels of accessibility available for state assessments?
- What are accessibility features?
- What are locally-approved designated supports?
- What are designated supports requiring TEA approval?
- Which students can receive designated supports?
FAQs - Accessibility on State Assessments
- What STAAR testing options are available for English learners (ELs)?
- What is STAAR Spanish?
- What tests are available for STAAR Spanish?
- What is the passing standard for STAAR Spanish?
- Are ELs who are enrolled in an English I or English II for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL I or ESOL II) course required to take the STAAR English I or English II assessments?
- What is the Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS)?
FAQs - Assessments for Special Populations
- What are the STAAR interim assessments?
- What are the differences between classroom formative, interim, and summative assessments?
- Does my district need permission from the TEA to participate in STAAR interim assessments?
- How can my district successfully implement STAAR interim assessments?
- How are the STAAR interim assessments administered?
- What grades and subjects are tested?
FAQs - Interim Assessments
- What are the details around the statewide transition to online testing by 2022-2023?
- When will the statewide online testing needs assessment survey go out, and who will it be sent to?
- Who do I reach out to if I have technical issues with the statewide online testing needs assessment survey?
- What is the integrated formative assessment pilot?